“The Last Three Miles” by Steven Hart (2007)
- Excellent history– and a good read– on the construction of the Pulaski Skyway. Includes stories of the bloody labor wars and JC Mayor Frank (“I Am the Law”) Hague.
“The Meadowlands: Wilderness Adventures on the Edge of a City” by Robert Sullivan (1998)
- History, archeology & adventure
“An American River: From Paradise to Superfund, Afloat on New Jersey’s Passaic” by Mary Bruno (2012)
- The story/history of nearby river, a mix of natural history, environmental politics and outdoor adventure. There is also a new documentary film version by Scott Morris: www.americanriver.film
“The Meadowlands Before the Commission: Three Centuries of Human Use and Alteration of the Newark and Hackensack Meadows” by Stephen Marshall (2004) https://www.urbanhabitats.org/v02n01/3centuries_full.html
- Interesting article on “History, Ecology, and Restoration of a Degraded Urban Wetland”
“Finding Nature In An Industrial Swamp: A Case Study Of New Jersey’s Hackensack Meadowlands” by Cheryl Ann Hendry Https://Scholarworks.Montana.Edu/Xmlui/Bitstream/Handle/1/12784/Hendryc0517.Pdf?Sequence=4
- A thorough and thoughtful analysis, with a sharp look at the history of how wetlands have/should be treated.
Two articles about corruption in JC in the 1970s, from New York Times: